water. agua. ماء. dŵr. biyo. ura. জল. voda. น้ำ. maji. tubig. amanzi. eau. 水. νερό. vatten. 물. vatn. woda. ទឹក. uisce. מים. wasser. acqua.
all living beings deserve access to clean water.
- An estimated 200 million hours are spent each day globally collecting water.
- A study by the World Bank and the IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre of community water and sanitation projects in 88 communities found that projects designed and run with the full participation of women are more sustainable and effective than those that do not.
- Surveys from 45 developing countries show that women and children bear the primary responsibility for water collection in the vast majority of households (76%). This is time not spent working at an income-generating job, caring for family members, or attending school.
- More than 3.4 million people die each year from water, sanitation, and hygiene-related causes. Nearly all deaths, 99 percent, occur in the developing world.
- In just one day, it is estimated that more than 152 million hours of women and girls' time is consumed for the most basic of human needs — collecting water for domestic use.
- Lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills children at a rate equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing every four hours.
- Of the 60 million people added to the world's towns and cities every year, most move to informal settlements (i.e. slums) with no sanitation facilities.
- 780 million people lack access to an improved water source; approximately one in nine people.
- "[The water and sanitation] crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns."
- An American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than the average person in a developing country slum uses for an entire day.
- Over 2.5 times more people lack water than live in the United States.
- More people have a mobile phone than a toilet.
Information courtesy of www.water.org
If you have art depicting water, we'd love to have you submit it for our March cover page art contest. Each month Women in Art 278 Magazine features a global issue or global celebration on our cover. Care to join us? To find out more, click here.